Twenty-Twenty kicked off with all kinds of great promises for the new decade ahead. Many pundits predicted a variety of momentous events that were to happen – myself included, as a Research Director for one of the companies tasked with such predictions. Boy, were we wrong! All of us were wrong, not just my company. Who would have expected the punch in the gut that humanity experienced in 2020? Good riddance to a year that was miserable on many levels.
But all was not bad! In fact, the silver lining in the COVID
cloud was a by-product of the lockdown itself. No, the lockdown was not good,
but it did keep me off airplanes for the longest stretch since I began my tech career
forty years prior. While I love the interactions I have with people all over
the world, I do not miss the hassle of commercial air travel, hotels, and other
inconveniences! From a ham radio perspective, I’ve never had a better year!
Why? Because I was stuck at home with my station, readily available to escape
the blues of the world around me. I am not alone in this position. Many hams
also had more time on the air! Thousands of these hams are my friends and we know
full well how to socialize at a distance. We mastered this over a century ago!
K3PP’s Best Ham Radio Year Ever
Like so many others, I suffered significant personal anguish
in 2020. My hero – my Dad – died in September and a month later, our sweet dog
did too. These events hit hard and it is tragic how so many have succumbed to
this awful virus sweeping the globe. I prefer to focus on the good things
however, and I do celebrate a magnificent year operating my radios.
In 2020, I logged more QSOs than ever before! As you can see
in the chart, I even topped last year’s incredible numbers.
Band And Mode Breakdowns Tell Their Own Stories
I Have Some Great Friends Around The World
Keep Your Butt In The Chair To Get Big Numbers
CWops CWTs Played A Big Role in 2020
I cannot overemphasize my gratitude to the CWops
organization! It literally changed my life! While I don’t claim to be a good CW
operator, I am far better than I was in the beginning of 2017, when I first jumped
into the club’s weekly CWT mini-contests. If you are striving to improve as a
CW operator, I strongly recommend you reach out to the CWops organization. Its
CW Academy has transformed countless hams into respectable CW operators – and
it’s FREE!
The CWTs are hour-long CW contests that are held each Wednesday. Each week has three sessions: 1300-1400 UTC, 1900-2000 UTC, and 0300-0400 UTC Thursday. You can earn medals for participating in a specified number of CWTs. Here in the US, you earn a Bronze at 50 qualified sessions, a Silver at 80, and a Gold at 120. I earned a Silver in each of the prior years (2017-2019), but I never thought I’d be able to reach 120 until I retired. Well, the pandemic gave me that opportunity! I only missed 8 CWTs in 2020, giving me more than enough for my first Gold Medal! I also achieved a new high score and high QSO total of 15,625 points and 125 QSOs in the 0300z 19-Nov CWT!
As I sought to analyze my performance, I couldn’t just look at raw scores and QSO totals. Each CWT is an hour long, but there were many occasions where I was unable to do the full 60 minutes. Work still takes priority. So, I decided to track my hourly rate as my key performance indicator. If I could only do 20 minutes and logged 25 QSOs during that time, my rate would be 75 when extrapolated to the full hour. This normalized my performances for better comparison. The chart below presents my normalized rates for all 151 CWTs I did in 2020.

Contests Are My Favorite Activity
I do a lot of contests because I love the fast-paced chase!
I go hard at the big DX contests like the CQWW DX and ARRL DX contests, but I
try to do a little in as many of them as I can. I did the 151 CWTs and another
97 with various levels of effort. Since most of the bigger contests are on
weekends, you can only collect that many by doing multiple contests per
weekend. Every weekend has at least one contest, most have several.
The State QSO Party Challenge Added A Fun New Twist To 2020
This year saw the emergence of the State QSO Party Challenge. I often do a
little in some state QSO Parties throughout the year, but this new year-long
marathon compelled me to try a bit harder. As I got near the middle of the
year, I realized I qualified in every one of them to that point. I thought, “Gee,
can I get them all?” It wasn’t easy, but the Illinois QSO Party marked the
final one of the year and I bagged them all – with 100% of my QSOs on CW! I was
one of only 32 people with “perfect attendance” in all 46 QSO
Parties!
My Field Day Was Brief, Bare Bones And Uniquely Enjoyable
Field Day was an unusual
one for me this year. Unable to join anyone else and mainly due to other priorities
taking precedence, I did a very brief (1 hour) operation with a battery-powered
40m MFJ-9040 QRP rig and a dipole slung in the trees at what will be the site
of my next QTH. This was as basic as one can get – paper logging, QRP, and a straight key on
an open picnic table in the forest and some time off in the middle! I only made
16 QSOs, but I was very pleased with the little outing!
Good GRIDdance To 2020
Onward to 2021
Fittingly, my final QSO of 2020 was in a contest, the 0300z 31-Dec CWT. Also fittingly, that QSO was with my friend Hank W6SX, the guy who brought me into the CWops organization. I am eternally grateful to Hank and the entire CWops organization and my buddies in the Frankford Radio Club! They collectively push me to be better than I was one QSO ago! Keep climbing and you will realize higher achievements. As my good friend Brian VE3MGY says, “Never Stop Training!” You have to get uncomfortable to grow as a person. Stay in your comfort zone and nothing comes of it. Your comfort zone is ironically a pretty uncomfortable place if you are ambitious! I was pretty uncomfortable in 2020 – and it made me a better ham – and a better person. What will 2021 bring? I won’t even try to predict, but whatever it is – BRING IT ON!VY 73 HNY de Glenn K3PP














Awesome article. Thanks for sharing the successes of the year, and the trials and tribulations 73 Jeff N1SNB
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jeff!
DeleteThanks for the Qs Glenn. 73 de N5PHT Gary
ReplyDeleteThank you, Gary! And thank YOU for all the AWS!
DeleteGreat read Glenn. Your accomplishments for 2020 are truly amazing. I think you should share the credit to your Second Op shown in the Field Day picture :-)
ReplyDelete73,
Frank W2XYZ
CWops#2510
Thank you Frank! My second op gets all the credit! He was a good dog!
Delete