OK, so a one-hour event doesn't quite qualify as an adventure, but it was indeed different! 😀 I have come to adore the CWops CWT mini-contests each Wednesday and I almost always run them full QRO - or close to full. I will rarely run one at 100W, but I never did one QRP ... until last night.
I recently built a QRP Labs QCX QRP transceiver for 80m - my third QCX (others are on 30m and 20m). I wired up a USB interface to do CAT control of the 80m QCX and got it working with N1MM+ logging software. The particular interface I used has the necessary TX, RX, and GND connections, but it also has a DTR pin. I wired this pin up to key CW and successfully configured N1MM+ to key it. All was set!
As my first real test, I decided to try it in the 03-Dec 03:00 UTC running of the CWT. I didn't expect much, because the CWT's high activity levels can make it tough to get through the pileups. For the first 6 minutes, I tried with my trusty old Force-12 EF-180BV vertical. Nothing! I switched to my low 80m dipole, usually better for 75m phone, but hey, I got some answers!
After the hour was done, I was very pleased with a total of 44 QSOs! Obviously, CWops members have great ears! Of course, you need to go with a different strategy with QRP. You certainly cannot "brute force" your way through it, as I normally can do because I have big power, decent antennas, and a superb QTH. So, I keep the same antennas and QTH and just turn the power down by 99.999%! I tuned for the really big signals and timed my call properly. Most of the other ops came right back to me (remember those great ears!) and I only had to fight for a handful of the QSOs. In every one of those cases, it's because I made a bad choice and called a weaker station, making him work much harder to hear my puny signal through the din. Lesson learned.
The map above (courtesy of N9MS's excellent qsomap.org site) shows the locations of the QSOs with grid square data. The longest path was my friend Claude VE2FK in FN68hq, 679 miles away. That's ~340 miles/watt - not too shabby for 2 watts on 80m! While I will again try QRP in a CWT every now and then, I'll try to spare my CWops buddies from the pain of pulling out my pipsqueak signal! But, it was fun, so I'll do it again! That's what this stuff is all about - fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment